Superintendent's Welcome Letter
I am pleased to welcome new families, community members, businesses, and organizations to Bethel Park School District. Bethel Park is committed to providing our students with essential education, skills, and experiences for their futures. We call it "Best in Class," and we believe that by integrating skills into the curriculum across all grades, our students will be equipped with the tools to face challenges and be successful in whichever career path they choose.
Our school district also believes the home-school partnership is essential in supporting student success. Unsurprisingly, the dedication and partnerships established between our staff, board of school directors, parents, and community are key factors in helping our students excel. As a result of the hard work and dedication of our learning community, we are proud to share that our schools have been recognized for the quality education provided to our students by the United States Department of Education, the US News & World Report, niche.com, and the Pittsburgh Business Times.
We invite students to our schools to become part of our learning team and develop skills to support future success, and we invite parents to become partners in building a strong future.
James Walsh, Ed.D.
Superintendent, Bethel Park School District
About Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
Located just 10 miles south of beautiful downtown Pittsburgh, Bethel Park is a 12 square-mile community of tree-lined streets and rolling hills. Approximately 32,000 residents call Bethel Park home, making it one of the largest communities in southern Allegheny County.
Originally settled around 1800, the community was established as Bethel Township in 1886. It was named after Bethel Presbyterian Church, which in turn was named after the ancient Israelite sanctuary of Bethel. Bethel Park was incorporated as a borough on March 17, 1949, and became a home rule municipality in 1978.
About Bethel Park Schools
The Bethel Park School District is composed of eight schools—five elementary (Grades K-4), two middle (one Grades 5-6 and another Grades 7-8) and one high school (Grades 9-12).
Bethel Park also offers an online academy for students who do better in an at-home learning setting. Total district enrollment for the 2023—2024 school year is approximately 4,000.
What Our Parents Are Saying...
"My children are the third generation of my husband's family to go through the district. As an out-of-state transplant, I am continually amazed and impressed by the school district's sheer number of programs and services, the involvement of our teachers and staff, and the feeling of community our schools have.
I cannot imagine raising my kids anywhere else!"
- Lindsey Sibert, Mother of three Bethel Park School District students
- The U.S. Department of Education has awarded a National Blue Ribbon for Excellence in Education to Bethel Park schools on three separate occasions, placing it among the top one percent of schools nationwide.
- Our elementary schools bring an additional focus on growth through hands-on learning and extracurricular experiences.
- With the 2022 addition of Unified Indoor Bocce, which is co-sponsored by the PIAA and Special Olympics PA, Bethel Park High School offers 29 varsity, 18 junior varsity, seven freshmen, and 12 middle school teams, as well as four club sports.
- More than 12 clubs and activities are available to students at the middle schools and more than 20 at the high school. The high school produces a fall play and a spring musical in which more than 150 students participate.
- Parents and family involvement is encouraged through multiple parent organizations that support Bethel Park students.
- Recognized as a 2022 National Blue Ribbon School by the US Department of Education
- Recognized as a 2022 Best School District for Music Education by the National Assoc. of Music Merchants
- A proud kindness partner with WQED-TV