When the Bethel Township School District began on June 21, 1886, education at that time was provided only to students in grades 1-8.
It was not until 1906 that the school district converted one of the classrooms in a three-room school house on Mollenauer Road (Bethel School near Mine Three) into a high school.
In those days, high school was a three year program and students only attended school for half days and for only one semester. The curriculum was basic; there were no electives and students purchased their own books. The high school program changed to a four-year program in 1914. Extra curricular activities began around 1920.
In 1908 the first Bethel High School was erected at the corner of South Park Road and Park Avenue, a building which is still standing today. The original building held two classrooms and an auditorium, employed four teachers and was constructed for $6,400.
The first Bethel High School graduating class was in 1909 with 15 students (10 girls and 5 boys) as members of the inaugural graduating class.