Flu season is right around the corner! This fall the Bethel Park School District will be working with the American Health Care Group's Vaccine For Students Program to help protect our students against the flu by offering a Flu Shot Clinic in all Bethel Park schools on Wednesday, September 27.
Vaccination is the best way to prevent the flu and to keep your child healthy and in school this flu season. Although it is not required, we hope that offering the vaccine at school will make it easier for you to get flu protection for your child.
The flu vaccine that will be administered to your child is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration and recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This is the same flu vaccine that is given in the Doctor’s Office.
Flu can be a very serious illness causing fever, chills, headache, extreme tiredness and body aches. The illness can lead to an extended time of absence from school or even hospitalization. Flu is also very contagious and can be easily spread to others in the home including grandparents, younger siblings or babies. The CDC strongly recommends that everyone 6 months of age and older get the flu vaccine.
All children are eligible to receive a flu vaccination. If your child is covered by private health insurance, American Health Care will bill the child’s health insurance directly for the flu vaccination. Parent/Guardians will not be billed for any amount unless the insurance company does not pay.
Students without health insurance coverage can still participate at the cost of $25. Cash, checks (payable to “American Health Care Group”) or credit cards are accepted.
The Flu Vaccine will be offered during the school day at your child’s school on Wednesday, September 27. Only the injectable vaccine will be offered. The Flu Mist is not available this year.
If you would like your child to receive a flu vaccination at school please do the following:
1) Complete the Immunization Consent Form And Record, which is linked below. Also attached is a Vaccination Information Statement, which will provide you with helpful information about the Flu Vaccine. This sheet will help you to decide if your child should receive the flu shot. If you have any questions, it is always good to ask the child’s health care provider.
2) Please return the completed form by September 26, 2017 to the School Nurse. The completed Consent Form must be received in order to vaccinate your child.
3) Please inform the School Nurse of any of the following prior to the vaccination clinic:
- If you decide you no longer want a flu vaccine for your child
- If there are any changes in your child’s health
- If your child receives any medications or vaccines within 30 days of the clinic
If you have any questions about please contact your child’s school nurse.
FLU SHOTS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS TOO! Ask your school nurse for details.
If you have questions about the Flu Shot Clinic, please call your child's School Nurse for additional information.