ELEMENTARY READING/LANGUAGE ARTS
The English Language Arts Department encourages students to critically and effectively read, write, speak and listen.
The Integrated Language Arts encompass reading, composition, spelling, grammar, usage, speaking and listening. Students acquire competence through effective use of oral and written communication across the curriculum. The love of reading is nurtured through the use of authentic children's literature. Units of study are organized thematically. Instruction in phonics and other traditionally successful reading and language arts processes are an integral part of the program. Writing portfolios, skills tests and other forms of performance assessment are employed to measure progress. Computer assisted instruction in the school computer laboratories strengthens communication skills.
In accordance with the Bethel Park School District mission statement and in conjunction with the current Pennsylvania Content Standard and Grade Level Benchmarks, the Bethel Park Mathematics Department has developed the following mission:
· To provide every student with the opportunity to be mathematically literate.
· To function in a technological world.
· To provide the foundation for further study of mathematics.
· To improve the math skills of all students so that they become independent problem solvers.
· Students will accept responsibility, take initiative, and set priorities regarding their learning.
The elementary math program is aligned to the Pennsylvania Academic Standards and those provided by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. Emphasis is placed on the mastery of basic facts, computation skills and problem solving strategies in relation to five mathematical strands; Numbers and Operations, Measurement, Geometry, Algebraic Concepts, and Data Analysis and Probability. Students engage in a variety of hands-on, individual, and collaborative activities in order to develop a solid foundation for further mathematics education and use in everyday life. Extensive support and enrichment opportunities are provided to complement the learning styles and development of all learners.
The mission of the Elementary Science Department is to promote scientific literacy by nurturing in our students a lifelong fascination with the natural world.
The elementary science program is taught through a process or “hands on” approach. It emphasizes a laboratory method of instruction that focuses on ways of developing basic skills in the processes of science. The methodology includes skills, centering on observing, classifying, measuring and predicting, as well as others required for scientific investigations and ways of processing information. Students in this program are provided with skills and knowledge that will serve as a springboard for future exploration of sciences as they progress through the Bethel Park school system. They also acquire skills which are needed to apply concepts and utilize knowledge in a purposeful way.
ELEMENTARY SOCIAL STUDIES
The elementary social studies programs will:
- Promote civil competence that is knowledge, skills, attitudes required of students to function as citizens in our democratic republic.
- Integrate knowledge, skills, and attitudes within and across disciplines.
- Help students construct a knowledge base and attitudes drawn from academic disciplines as specialized ways of viewing reality.
- Reflect the changing nature of knowledge fostering entirely new and highly integrated approaches to resolving human issues.
The elementary social studies program offers students the opportunity to acquire a basic understanding of the fundamental concepts and disciplines of anthropology, economics, geography, history, political science and sociology. Lessons are aligned with the National Council for Social Studies Standards and the Pennsylvania Academic Standards for Social Studies, and progress from the exploration of the community in primary grades to that of the country and world in the intermediate grades. Citizenship skills and democratic principles are celebrated and reinforced throughout each level.